Making a complaint

Making a complaint about Otago Mental Health Support Trust

Making an informal complaint

  • Complaints may be informal – to your support worker, the manager, team leader or any staff member of the OMHST.
  • Informal complaints may be verbal or written. These will be written up in the Complaints Register
  • Our aim is to resolve complaints as soon as they arise and as directly as possible with the immediate people concerned. If we are unable to resolve the matter immediately you will be advised of the investigation process. We will keep you informed on progress, and advise you of the outcome.
  • You are entitled to have an independent support person present at any meetings. Any cost associated with this is at your expense.
  • If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the informal process or an informal complaint is not appropriate you may make a formal complaint. This will also be written up in the Complaints Register

Making a formal complaint

  • It is expected that before a formal complaint is made all reasonable steps will have been taken to resolve the situation.
  • A formal complaint must be in writing addressed to the Chairperson of the OMHST Trust Board.
  • Your complaint will be acknowledged within 2 days of the receipt of the complaint
  • All aspects of the complaint will be investigated thoroughly and the results reported to you in writing within 14 days of the receipt of the complaint. You will be kept informed of the reason for any delay
  • You will be advised of the outcome of the investigation and any actions that will be taken resulting from the investigation.
  • You are entitled to have an independent representative or support person at any meetings or hearings. You must pay any costs in relation to personal support during the complaints procedure.
  • If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can request that the complaint be raised at the next meeting of the OMHST trustees, who shall have the final say on the matter.

Complaints about other (non OMHST) Services

  • If you have a complaint about any other service that you use (in addition to OMHST) you should discuss this with an OMHST staff member who may:
  • Refer you to an independent advocate
  • Advise you on the correct method of making a complaint
  • Act as a support person or advocate to help you follow through with the complaint